i’m trying this bloggety thing again. it will probably fail *yet again*, but if I don’t try, I won’t make it work, right?
So. First things first. The end is nigh, my friends. That’s right. I will defend this thesis of mine. The goal is February, preferrably before I turn 30. I’ll keep you (lightly) posted on my progress here.
let’s move on.
How about we start with the marriage of two of my favorite things ever – glitter and christmas lights!!!
The inspiration for this amazingness was a combination of these two things I’ve come across in the past year.
1. A large marquee lower-case g.
and inspiration 2, this awesome idea for a pair of glitter shoes – put the glitter IN the mod podge to prevent glitterpocalypse on your kitchen floor….
It’s ok if you feel you have to avert your eyes from all this amazingness. It is all pretty awesome.
The construction details:
- Base form: I cut the r out of foam-core board and then built up the sides out of foam-core board. the whole thing is 18″ tall and 2″ deep (to allow for lights). The edges were held together with cellophane tape and then sturdified with cotton gauze fabric and mod podge. I used almost 2/3-3/4 of a bottle of regular matte mod podge for this whole project.
- Glitter: I found the “1 lb of glitter!” at my local Hobby Lobby. For the first few coats, I used the “glitter in the mod podge” technique that was used above for the shoes. By the third coat, I realized that it was going to take about 40,003 coats to reach my desired glitter density with this technique. So I changed to painting a THICK glob of mod podge on the form and then dumping the glitter on the mod podge. To keep the glitter from getting everywhere later, I then coated the dry mod podged glitter (2 more coats with the dumping method) with another really thick layer of mod podge. This was KEY in limiting the spread of glitter all over my house later. As my sister told me, “Glitter is the herpes of the craft world.”
- Lacquer: I sprayed this down with about 15 coats of Rustoleum clear high-gloss lacquer. I hope this helps with the glitter/herpes issue, but no matter what, it at least is high-gloss so it doesn’t hide the glitter. Which reminds me – the glitter in white school glue idea won’t work – you remember getting glue on your glitter in elementary school, right? totally dulls the glitter. Mod Podge is the way to go.
- Lights: I had a string of mini-LED lights from a year or two ago. These aren’t the regular Christmas lights – like the long-ish bulbs – these are kinda stubby little lights. The actual bulb was shorter than the thickness of the foam-core board, so I took an exacto knife and carved out little wells for the lights to sit into in the back of the board after I drilled the holes for the lights. I just used the first drill bit I found that was close-ish to the right size, and it worked. It was about the diameter of a bic clicky-pencil. whatever that is. Sidenote – I should have decided on final light placement and well-digging before a) adding the sides and b) finishing the glitter. That would have made the whole endeavor a lot easier and less glittery in my livingroom. When I ‘installed’ the lights, I wound up placing one light in every other hole on the first round and then filling in the rest on the second round, because the cord wouldn’t bend (without pulling the bulb out of the hole) with putting the lights in right next to each other. The cord is held to the sides of the inside with blue painter’s tape (because that is what I had on hand….) and I tried to position the cords and tape in a way that they lights were held relatively snugly to the little wells that I carved out for them.
- Hanging: pins in the foam of the sides. yarn tied to the pins. done.
Next up will be a smaller battery-operated marquee ‘k’ for my mother’s office door at work. Those co-workers of hers won’t know what hit them!