The Demise of the MuuMuu

Remember this?

Tova Problems

I attacked it and it’s all better.

Tova Fixes

I did make some rather drastic alterations to this – most notably taking the side seams around my ribcage in about 6″. This meant that I had to also take out the pockets. Ah well. I can always open the seam another day and put them back. Second, after wearing this to church and realizing that the placket neckline was a little lower than is comfortable for me, I tacked the placket together about 2″ up. Now I’m not showing too much skin in the chestal region, and it’s a little warmer as well.

So what did we learn from this exercise?

  1. I am not an extra-large for the tova pattern. I think I’ll make the next one some combination of medium (in the chest and waist and arms) and a large (for the shoulders and bottom of the dress).
  2. The length needs to be a bit longer. An inch would be great.
  3. I have a very flat derriere, so I think the next one also needs some darts for shaping in the back-to-butt transition area. This one is fine as-is, but I think I could make some adjustments to the pattern sides in the medium to add two darts to just make it look a little more fitted through the waist in the back. I’ve done this with other shapeless-type patterns, and I’ve been wildly happy with those results.
  4. Jenny Gordy did not design a muumuu, but I managed to fix the one I sewed.
Advertisements

One comment

  1. stirandstitch

    your tova looks great! boy, can i relate to the excess back fabric issue, too. i’ve wondered about adding darts but haven’t been brave enough.

Tell me what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s